- A horsefly bite is a real nuisance – not only does it hurt and itch at the site of the bite, but often a large part of the body as well.
- What to do in such a situation? The doctor explains and appeals: scratching is the worst thing
How to relieve pain and swelling after a horsefly bite?
Good day, I would like some advice regarding the terrible pain from a horsefly bite. Yesterday, I went with a group of friends to a lake where, as you know, there are a lot of different kinds of insects. Especially bothersome for us were the horse flies, which were everywhere and there were a lot of them. At one point I felt a sting in my left arm, which was very painful.
A while after being stung by a horsefly, I felt a terrible itching. The pain was still accompanied. After about an hour, erythema appeared on my arm at the site of the horsefly bite. What can I do to reduce the pain? It already covers almost the entire arm. The swelling is not decreasing either. I’m afraid that if I don’t take quick treatment, there will be some adverse sequelae.
Can I use some kind of ointment, paracetamol or ibuprofen for the pain from the horsefly bite? Should I take any antihistamines? Should I consult any doctor first before taking anything? I would be very grateful for an answer.
Your doctor tells you what action to take
Dear lady, horsefly bites can be very painful. The swelling and pain that develops right after the bite can last for a long time. It is recommended to use preparations that reduce swelling, for example altacet, and anti-inflammatory drugs applied topically, for example ketoprofen or diclofenac in gel form.
If you have noticed that the swelling is increasing despite the passage of time, then you should contact your GP. In the case of pruritus, antihistamines, i.e. those we generally use for symptomatic allergies, may provide relief. If a purulent inflammatory process develops at the site of the bite, you should be aware of a bacterial infection, which often develops as a result of scratching the wound following severe pruritus.
In this case, the attending physician may recommend the inclusion of an antibiotic. It is very important to be aware that if you experience symptoms such as shortness of breath, dizziness, cold sweats, sudden weakness, you should go to the hospital urgently.
Symptoms may suggest a developing anaphylactic shock, resulting from an allergic reaction to horse fly venom. In such a case, prompt specialist treatment is required as it is a life-threatening condition. The aforementioned situation is, of course, rare, but people who are allergic to insect venom should bear this in mind.
Symptoms after a bite usually resolve without treatment after a few days or so. The swelling reduces and the pain subsides. However, if topical treatment is unsuccessful, you can of course take oral painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.
Next time, I suggest that you properly protect yourself from contact with flies or other insects.
The most important thing is appropriate clothing, that is, clothing that allows you to cover as much skin as possible, and possibly chemicals to use on the skin that primarily repel mosquitoes or ticks. If you have any doubts, I encourage you to contact your GP.